Judge Not: Getting Compensation Outside Of Court

4 October 2017
 Categories: Law, Blog


The first thing that pops into many people's heads when they get injured is "lawsuit," but you should know that not only is that not always to best way to deal with an issue, but it is also not always necessary. When you take another party to court, it an be an expensive and very time-consuming process, so read on to learn more about some ways to get the money damages you are due without going to court.

Just Threaten to File A Lawsuit

Before you even set foot in a courthouse, there is a quick and easy way to let the other side know that you have the intention of filing suit if they don't comply with your demands. The demand letter is sent to opposing side (or their attorney) and summarizes your case. This letter will detail your damages, why they are at fault, your medical treatment, your evidence, and, most importantly, the amount of money you are asking them to pay to make the whole thing go away. Since the other side is no more eager than you are to take a case to trial, this letter will sometimes get the negotiations ball rolling, which could result in getting compensated quickly and easily.

Complain and File a Report

Most businesses carry insurance to cover customers who get injured on their premises, and in most cases any injuries you suffer will be quickly compensated. Make sure that you alert the manager in charge about the accident and your injury, and fill out the necessary accident report or claim form. Follow up by seeking medical treatment; if you don't see the doctor, the insurance carrier could try to say that your injury was not as serious as you claimed it to be.

Have your injuries photographed by a friend, and be sure to keep all medical receipts. If possible, get some photos of the accident scene as well. For example, if you tripped over an electrical cord snaking across the aisle in a store, snap a pic of that dangerous cord hazard. If your injury is more serious, however, you may need to seek the help of a personal injury attorney. The insurance is not likely to offer you enough money to adequately compensate you if your injury turns out to be a permanent one.

These above measures are worth a try, and you may end up being surprised by a quick offer to settle. If your case is more serious, or if your attempts to settle seem to be falling on deaf ears, you must seek the help of a personal injury attorney, such as those at Kaston & Aberle, as soon as you can.