Try To Get Your Child Support Payments Reduced In The Following Scenarios

28 July 2018
 Categories: Law, Blog


When you and your spouse get divorced and go through court proceedings to determine how much you'll pay in child support, it's important for you to know that this payment schedule doesn't continue indefinitely. Generally, you'll need to pay child support until your children are of a certain age, but there can be different scenarios in which it's possible to contact a child support attorney like those with Jacobs & Barbone P A and revisit the agreement—ideally in the hopes of getting your payments reduced. Here are some scenarios in which discussing a reduction in your child support may be worthwhile.

Your Ex-Spouse Has A Rich Partner

It's common for child support to end if the parent who is caring for the children and receiving the support marries. However, many people attempt to avoid this scenario by failing to get married. You may become aware that your spouse has a new partner who is affluent and assume that this partner is helping to support your children—regardless of whether he or she has started to actually live under the same roof as your ex-spouse. In this scenario, you may be able to get your child support payments reduced.

You've Incurred Medical Expenses

In some cases, you may face expensive medical bills that are necessary. For example, if you've been diagnosed with a disease or illness and you're paying for medical care, prescription medication, and other expenses, you may find yourself struggling to do so while you pay child support. Your health doesn't necessarily come before the well-being of your children, but this situation could compel a judge to look at your expenses and your child support, evaluate it against what you're earning, and drop the amount of the child support.

Your Ex-Spouse Appears To Be Misusing The Money

Often, child support payments can be exorbitant, especially if the person making the payments earns a good living. Theoretically, the payments are supposed to go to the children—but you may become aware that your ex-spouse has started to live an opulent lifestyle since your payments began. Whether your children are getting older and have detailed some of these issues or you've monitored your ex-spouse on social media, you may have concerns that your money isn't going to the right people. This can be a good time to have an attorney present the case to the court to discuss lowering your payments. Ideally, this will encourage your ex-spouse to live more of a modest life and use the payments for your children.